Monday, December 14, 2015

Addressing the Recent Issue

Hello Everyone,

I have been asked by many about the recent issue involving former Milam County Tax Assessor-Collector Kolette Morgan. I am not sure I can shed much light on the issue as the information I have is the same as most folks in Milam County. Contrary to any suggestions otherwise, I am not privy to any extra information as County Chairman, nor do I wish to have any special treatment as such.

As I sent out in my press release on Tuesday December 8, 2015, I was informed via text message that evening by Mrs. Morgan that she would not be seeking reelection based on a decision she made after discussing it with her family and doctor. That is all we discussed in the two texts that were sent

The next morning, December 9, 2015, I found out about the actual charges and plea deal like most others in Milam County, via press coverage of the court proceedings. I am saddened by this turn of events and it is not as a Republican Party member or chairman that I have concern, but as a citizen of Milam County.

I have been contacted by many Milam County Citizens regarding statements made by various individuals for political and personal reasons; however, I waited to make a comment until I had some actual and relevant information to share.

Here is what I know. This investigation was conducted by Milam County District Attorney Investigator Douglas Kunkel and the State Attorney General’s office. The investigation was conducted in secret, as is normal of an investigation such as this as per standard investigative practice.

Once it was apparent that charges would be filed, Mrs. Morgan was notified and a plea bargain was quickly reached with a penalty not out of line with that of similar court rulings or plea deals. Likewise, once it was apparent this would be the outcome, the plea bargain and penalty phase was completed in an expedited manner to avoid any conflict with the filing period and the upcoming election process.

I applaud the efforts of those involved in the investigation and the penalty phase for their diligent work on behalf of the citizens of Milam County. These individuals represent both political parties here in Milam County and did their jobs not as members of a political party, but as responsible officials of Milam County, both elected and appointed. This was a difficult situation for all involved and I thank them for their efforts to seek the truth and bring this issue to a swift and appropriate conclusion.

In closing, I would remind everyone to consider the values and beliefs we hold dear here in Milam County and pray for all involved, including the Morgan Family. It is important to remember that at this moment this is still in the process of being concluded. None of us know the reason this incident happened; and while a transgression occurred, it has also been adjudicated and now we must move forward.

Thank You,
Bill

Bill Whitmire
Chairman,
Republican Party of Milam County

1 comment: